I think I just figured out the cause of emotional eating, which is such a struggle for many people...you feel bored or down and want something to snack on. It just occurred to me how often Dante wants to eat, but will only eat for a few minutes. I don't get it...wasn't he hungry??? Just a minute ago, instead of taking him up to feed him like I usually would, I got down on the floor and gave him my full attention and we had fun together for almost 10 minutes. Then he hopped up good as new and is playing by himself. I think since I am so busy, sometimes the only way to get the emotional support he needs is to get me to feed him. He doesn't really need food, he needs emotional nurturing. Maybe that's what has happened to all of us and we just never outgrew thinking that food would fill that void, since our mamas were too busy with too many kids or working or were just unaware of the attention we needed. In the demanding world we live in, it's not surprising to me that emotional eating is so common these days.
WOAH! No joke...I just looked down from typing this to find that Dante unscrewed the tiny screw from the back of a large glass pot lid. The tiny gasket and screw and washer (all small enough to eat) and handle are laying across the kitchen floor. Excuse my French, but HOLY S---!!! This mama's gotta pay better attention!!
That picture sure makes me want to eat! You are so wise to recognize what Dante really needed. He is so blessed to have such wonderful parents!
ReplyDeleteThank you, that is very encouraging-- I was feeling like a lousy mom, but I guess it's best that I was able to see his needs and make a change. XX to you, whoever you are!!
DeleteI agree with whoever annonymous is: Dante is blessed to have such wonderful and wise parents. I have never thought about your point in regards to emotional eating but it makes sense...
ReplyDeleteNever feel like a lousy mom: you are a great one!
And Dante is just to freakin' smart for words!!! You'll either have to watch him like a hawk or get him his own tool box and send him around the house fixing things (rather than taking things apart!) LOL
Loved spending last Tuesday with him!!!
xoxoxo
Auntie M