He has now added body language, using the correct American Sign Language markers for asking a question: He turns his palms upward and purses his lips and scrunches his eyebrows, then says, "What is it?" That I never taught him these question markers is testament to the fact that ASL is naturally occurring and not a language convention invented by humans. Being a huge fan of linguistic study, this is such a marvel for me to witness!
"It's the ground," I explained. There is a road that boarders the park and we could hear cars driving by from time to time. Dante twisted around in his swing, trying to see what was making the noise, "What is that?" he asked. "It's a car," I replied. Can you say car?" Five minutes later we heard the rumbling of another vehicle go by the park. Without looking, he said, "Car!" for the very first time.
I feel as though the world has flung wide open for Dante as well as for our relationship with him. I can say without a doubt that this is the most fun we've ever had in life: Discovering the world all over with Dante.
Meet Dante's Imaginary Friends: Owl, Moon and, most of all, the Star
("Star" is his new favorite word!)

I couldn't believe when he said "I love you", as clear as day, last time I was there. He is picking up on things sooooo quickly! You should start the piano lessons now.
ReplyDeleteLove ya, Grets
So amazing! And he's said "Thank You" to me twice now! And at the appropriate time!!! And he learned "pretty" and "horsie" and "tree" in the past week...it's so amazing to me!!!! Yesterday was so wonderful seeing his joy and awe!!! Loved it!!
ReplyDelete